DIRECTOR OF APPLICATION DEV-OPS
The Director of Application Dev-Ops role is to manage a team responsible for supporting initial application deployments, infrastructure upgrades, software upgrades, patching, and ongoing support for mission critical 24x7 hosted applications.
This candidate will guide and develop worldwide best practices for running a highly available, scalable, and secure environment for 8x8 applications under their purview. The candidate will routinely engage with all levels of Dev-Ops and engineering leadership to facilitate exchange of best practices, plan for future needs and drive corporate standards for all areas pertaining to running of the managed applications.
8x8 is looking for a dynamic technical leader to join our team as a hands-on Director of Application Dev-Ops. The ideal candidate for this position will have a deep understanding and hands on experience from a similar large scale environment with a proven track record for being able to drive improvement in people, processes, and technology. You will need deep technical depth to conduct deep dives, lead root cause analysis efforts and defend your opinions about DevOps, release engineering & automation practices.
- Manage a team of 10 Application Dev/Ops Engineers located in the US, Europe, India.
- Hire additional team members to fill skill gaps required for future growth.
- Give technical guidance and knowledge transfer to team and peers.
- Assure high availability of managed applications 99.990% annually.
- Continuously improve systems and processes.
- Ensure proper monitoring and capacity management practices in place.
- Ensure proper security measures in place and programs for ongoing review.
- Review and approve complex Intervention Plans with strict Change Control Management.
- Communicate with internal departments on deployment schedules.
- Act as escalation point for any hot operational issue with managed applications.
- Communicate with external vendors, partners, customers as needed.
- Participate in weekly product review meetings as Dev/Ops representative.
- Review, recommend, implement, new technologies to improve performance metrics .
- Automate the building and maintaining of Development, Testing/QA, Staging and Production environments.
- On-call availability during nights and weekends as management escalation point.
- Ensure team members are able to provide internal application support for a wide variety of clustered systems, stand alone servers, applications, batch processes, load balancers, batch processes, databases, and various network LAN/WAN devices.
- Manage team to develop scripts/web-tools for automating operations and customer support common issues and procedures (tools to improve first-call resolution, etc).
- Manage team processes for triage of multiple incident cases within SLAs and ability provide up-to-date details on cases as needed.
- Participate in scheduled maintenances and system upgrades as needed.
- Run and manage after incident postmortem reviews for any service impacting events.
- Must be prepared to become the knowledge expert around infrastructure and systems.
- At least 5+ years of experience as a proven hands-on DevOps Engineer with overall 10+ years of relevant industry experience in computer operations, production control or other IT related field Experience with software application support.
- Must possess a keen technical mind capable of quickly learning new skills and tools.
- Good working knowledge and experience working in an AWS or other similar environment desired.
- High-level Knowledge of Linux (Redhat and CentOS) operating systems is desired.
- High-level Knowledge of Apache, Tomcat, and MySQL desired.
- Systems Hardware experience desired.
- Deep knowledge of Enterprise Virtualization, particularly VMware clusters.
- Significant technical experience in release automation engineering, Continuous. Integration, DevOps, software/systems developer, software development & release engineering manager, or related role.
- Prior success with deep knowledge on release engineering & automation for large scale Enterprise systems.
- A strong desire to automate everything!
- Ability to clearly communicate and convey highly technical ideas in terms non-geeks can understand.
- A motivated self-starting personality, able to work independently while maintaining patience with constant interruptions and multiple requests.
- BS/MS degree in Computer Science, Information Systems or related field and/or equivalent experience.
- Knowledge of networking technologies desired:
- TCP/IP (IPv4 required, IPv6 desired)
- Routing protocols: BGP and OSPF
- SMB/Mid-market routers and firewalls
- Multi-Layer Switching Technologies
- Storage – FC, NFS, iSCSI
- SIP expertise desired (Signaling, Codecs, RTP)
- Excellent problem solving and troubleshooting abilities.
- Excellent Oral and written communication skills.