At 8x8 we have lots of smart, motivated, and opinionated engineers working in small development teams. They are moving fast and independently, developing within a wide range of open source technologies, Node.JS, FreeSWITCH, Java, C, Kafka, Elasticsearch, Chef and more. We approach development in a distributed and decentralized way. We believe in hiring driven engineers and letting them run fast. You will lead a team of engineers at the core of our largest revenue producing Contact Center product. This Sr. Manager of Engineering will ensure that 8x8 has the appropriate application engineering strategies, services, organizational capabilities and technology solutions.
Our culture is unique; We trust our engineers with a high degree of freedom and autonomy. This, in turn, fosters innovation and productivity. We go to market with multiple products that share a common platform.
As a Sr. Manager of Engineering, you will:
- Lead development of Virtual Contact Center core technology and function - a high revenue business unit
- Own the engineering roadmap for your team and work closely with the PM and Ops to keep it up to date
- Develop new capabilities and services that are used by web/desktop/mobile customers
- Be responsible for hiring, retaining and mentoring talent
- Champion all non-functional requirements of your applications – quality, high availability, scalability, fault tolerance, etc.
- Collaborate with Production Operations on rollouts, updates, and incident resolution
- Ensure your applications exceed expectations for performance, reliability, availability, and security
- Identify and drive efficiencies which increase engineering velocity
- Drive adoption of development processes and methodologies aligned with corporate strategy
- Promote a culture of innovation, collaboration, and customer-facing experimentation
- Ability to deliver - doing over talking at all costs
- SaaS expertise (both in AWS and data centers)
- 4+ years of experience in a leadership role managing 8+ engineers
- Experience developing, delivering, and supporting products in highly scalable, high velocity SaaS environments
- Excellent collaboration and communication skills
- Experience coordinating with remote teams
Bonus Points for:
- Experience with micro services at scale
- Expertise with telephony, call centers or communications